The Principal Legal Officer will be reporting to the Corporation Secretary.
Requirements for Appointment:
1. Masters degree in any of the following disciplines; Law, Public Administration,Business Administration, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution.
2. Bachelors degree in Law or equivalent degree from a reputable institution.
3. Post graduate diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law or similar qualification from a recognised institution;
4. Minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience, three (3) of which must have been at a supervisory level; OR have served for three (3) years as Principal Legal Officer.
5. An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing.
6. Evidence of proficiency and knowledge in Computer Applications.
7. Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution.
8. Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Kenyan Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide legal advisory services to ensure compliance with existing law and regulatory requirements.
2. Draft, review and vet legal instruments and make recommendations.
3. Identify and monitor areas of risk in legal compliance and make recommendations.
4. Research, review, analyze and interpret laws, regulations and advise accordingly.
5. Assist in preparing and monitoring of the Department’s budgets and expenditures.
6. Draft and review legal pleadings, attend court, Compile documentary evidence,coordinate witness preparation, receive court pleadings, instruct external legal counsel and monitor progress of all cases.
7. Assist in Council secretariat services by preparing and dispatching Council Notices, Agendas, Papers, Minutes and action reports.
8. Monitor implementation of Council decisions and prepare reports.
9. Prepare reports on the use of the Council Seal.
10. Assist in conducting Governance and legal Audits and prepare reports.
11. Manage the Divisions legal registry including updating legal documentation,regulations, ordinances, policy manuals to ensure compliance.
1. Ability to portray and uphold positive national image and work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
2. Being visionary and result oriented;
3. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
4. Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines;
5. Firm, fair and transparent management style.
Shortlisted candidates must meet the provisions of Chapter Six of the Kenyan Constitution. In this regard, the candidates should obtain clearance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Criminal Investigation Department
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Credit Reference Bureau
TERMS OF OFFER
The Council will offer a competitive remuneration package commensurate with seniority and responsibilities of the position.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications enclosing certified copies of their academic and professional certificates, detailed curriculum vitae giving details of telephone contact, e-mail addresses, current remuneration (enclose copy of latest pay slip), names and valid current contacts of three referees on or before 29th June, 2018 to:
The Chief Executive Officer
The Kenya National Examinations Council
P. O. Box 73598 – 00200
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and canvassing will result to automatic disqualification.
KNEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and people with Disability and female candidates are encouraged to apply.